Sunday, 1 May 2016

Slow Moments

My birthday came and went, slowly, quietly. 

A long soak in a salt and lavender bath with a stack of poetry books leant from the library. 

Rather than a birthday dress I decided to wear . . . . Birthday pyjamas, and spent the rest of the day beneath blankets with tea and home made cake. 
It was perfect. 

I enjoyed every restful moment, drifting between states of absent thought and thoughts of self-reflection, of contemplation. The sort that are sure to arise on one's birthday, this day that marks the years that have passed in one's own evolution of the 'self' 

"Quiet the mind and the soul will speak"
Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati


The cake I made was pure and natural, formed from the bounty of natures gifts. 

Gluten and sugar free, I used honey, raspberries and strawberries for sweetness and the dainty white flowers of spring blossom from our garden for decoration. 



I was so pleased with how pretty it looked and how delicious it tasted.

Whilst out in the garden I also snipped a simple, single stem and placed it with one of my favourite poems,

A poem that speaks so poignantly to me, of my own journey toward the rediscovery of my most authentic self, the self that can only be unearthed when truly broken, the self that has been lying dormant just waiting to be set free, and how it feels when you finally . . . .

 'greet yourself arriving at your own door'


Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the others welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror,
sit. feast on your life.

~Derek Walcott

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect birthday , we are a lot alike , I am an old soul too , I love quiet contemplation . Your photography is amazing , that cake is beautiful and sounds delicious , and the poem I am saving , love it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful relaxing birthday, like you I am happy in my quiet life :) Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by x

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday beautiful friend. What a magical day you spent just letting yourself be and spending the day doing all that you find happiness in. Everything is so pretty.

    I would like to learn how to make a cake without flour. I have tried to bake with honey rather than sugar but it never sets well with my body. I wish it did. Though I still bake with sugar it is always half of what a recipe calls for. I use applesauce to even it out. I do use only honey in my homemade granola and banana bread. I admire your wholesome lifestyle dear Zoe. It is so good for sweet Niah too.

    I am glad you had such a lovely day. May it be a year of more freedom in being your true self. I send you love and am blowing sea kisses xx Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Kerrie x
      This cake was made with a mix of gluten free flour and ground almonds, that's interesting that honey doesn't tend to suit you, have you tried maple syrup? Although Apple sauce sounds like the perfect replacement for sugar I'd like to give that a try.

      Niah I'm so pleased that Niah has not yet had sugar :)

      Thank you for your lovely message
      Peace to you x

      Delete
  3. So sorry I'm late here Zoe......and this is such a beautiful blog post! I love your photos....and your words. And how clever of you to find this beautiful poem; I adore it and will keep it for ever.
    Sorry I didn't get to help you celebrate your birthday, but it sounds like you spent your day in the most perfect way. Love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's okay Linda :) Thank you for popping by and for your lovely words, you are so kind x

    ReplyDelete