Tuesday, 30 September 2014

Handmade With Love

I've been working on a handmade gift for our baby, 
A dreamcatcher style mobile.
I've loved dream catchers from being young, I had one hanging in my room which was a gift from my baby sitter and then went on myself to give them as gifts to friends over the years, now I enjoy making them.

The dreamcatcher originates from Native American cultures and is essentially A hoop with a woven net adorned with sacred items such as beads and feathers. Tribal mothers and grandmothers would weave these magical webs for their children, using willow hoops and sinew with the intention that the dreamcatchers would filter out all bad dreams and only allow good thoughts to enter their children's minds, once the sun rises, all bad dreams would just disappear.

Wanting our baby to have only the sweetest dreams and something pretty to look up at I've used an embroidery hoop, bangles which I wrapped in thick cotton yarn and a selection of crochet doilies.


Each and every part of this creation has been made with such Love, each piece carefully selected and put together with real care, I enjoyed the process so much and felt so connected to the baby whilst making it. To adorn the dream catcher I've used Crystal beads cut from a favourite vintage necklace with the hope that they will capture and create light. 

Beautiful spotted Guinea fowl feathers, the Guinea Fowl being a Totem animal symbolising protection.

And Lemurian Seed Crystals, originating from Lemuria the ancient civilisation believed to have sunk beneath the pacific ocean many thousands of years  ago. These crystals are a variety of Quartz that embody the soft loving energies of the angelic and cosmic realms and are said to be excellent stones for children.


Here it is finished, at the moment hanging at our change station, I will keep it here for a little while and will eventually hang it above the crib.




I hope the baby likes it :) I've mentioned a few times that I plan to open a little online shop once the baby is a bit older, I will definitely make a selection of these so that other babies can feel the Love too! x

No comments:

Post a Comment