Sunday, 9 February 2014

Home Improvements

We are firmly in to February, the last month of winter, I try as much as possible to honour and embrace each and every season, we're so lucky to have clearly defined seasons in this country, having said this I have to admit I have been daydreaming lately about spring with it's warmer temperatures, longer, lighter days and the promise of new life. Like so many in the animal world I have been in full-on hibernation mode through the entirety of January, leaving friends and family feeling a little neglected I have simply felt like home is the only place I've wanted to be, although I've not been curled up sleeping, I've been really busy with creative projects, decorating, sewing, making, spray-painting, glossing, reupholstering, tidying and arranging. It feels great to see the results of ideas I've had in my mind for so long. Our kitchen was in desperate need of some attention, The walls were dingy and definitely needed a coat of paint and I have had the same cream 'country kitchen' style appliances for the last ten years! I decided on a theme of modern/industrial, Black & Grey with Copper. I spray-painted the old scratched silver cupboard door handles matt black, made a curtain to cover our bin area and we treated our selves to a Delonghi toaster, and a whistling kettle which I've wanted for years.




I like the contrast of mixing expensive pieces with second hand items, antiques and up-cycled aspects, I've always enjoyed styling our home in this way. I Love that you can instantly change the look of something to fit in better with your new theme as simply as adding a coat of paint, our fruit bowls, wire egg hen & weighing scales all had a revamp with copper spray paint.


Even these previously white Ikea pots got some spray-paint action.
I'm going to use them to make a herb garden on the windowsill.

Now I just need some art and other finishing touches which will evolve over time, I just hope I don't come to regret the masculine colour palette in the lightness of spring and summer! I'm in such a winter mode at the moment, do you ever find your self making big decisions based on current and often fleeting inspirations?




1 comment:

  1. You have a fabulous kitchen! Some great ideas there......you're a whizz with that copper spray ;-) x

    ReplyDelete